Other Devices

Support:
KMM
New Contributor

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE

Good Day,

Thanks for the update,

Currently I have Samsung S8 (Plus and Normal), LG G6 and iPhone 7 Plus. Running the latest verson of their respective OS' though I'm unable to activate VoWiFi on all the devices and VoLTE on S8's; but the iPhone 7 and LG G6 are working perfectly with VoLTE. I have swapped SIM around between the devices with exact same results.

Can you please send us more details regarding the VoWiFi and what's the procedure to have it activated. 

Regards

Community Manager

Hi KMM

Please read my article on VoWiFi under the announcements section of the community, there are detailed instructions there. Please note that currently the S8 and G6 do not have VoWiFi support, we are awaiting Samsung and LG respectively to enable it on the Software before we can test and release. We are hoping to bring VoWiFi to those devices around September/October of 2017. Smiley Wink

iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.2
Mac Book Pro 15" Retina macOS Sierra 10.12.5
Frequent Visitor

VodacomKyle wrote:

Please go here for more information: https://myvodacom.secure.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/services/internet/lte?cid=ntrn_0_dsgn_6848 

Just a note that the link provided doesn't include anything about Wi-Fi Calling or VoWi-Fi at all.

However I was intrigued by the VoLTE topic http://help.vodacom.co.za/personal/subtopics/53/Vodacomnetwork/351/VoLTE which states:

VoLTE calls are only possible if the caller and receiver are both on the Vodacom network within an LTE coverage area, and both have been provisioned with VoLTE.

Surely this isn't true? This says I will not be able to use VoLTE if the called party isn't on the Vodacom network or using VoLTE. I can understand that perhaps it should read that higher audio quality is subject to both parties being on VoLTE.

VoLTE calls can only be made to other Vodacom customers who are provisioned for the service and within an LTE area. At this stage, other networks don't offer VoLTE.

Surely this is incorrect as well. Firstly the same as the previous point and secondly as Vodacom is not the only network to support VoLTE in South or globally. This statement is rather misleading.

Occasional Visitor

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE - waste of time

I would like to highlight a massive shortcoming on Vodacom's recent VoWiFi announcement. There is no support for those who have roaming enabled.

After over half a day of interacting with Vodacom's facebook team, PSD and others I now am told that because I have roaming enabled on my SIM card, I cannot make use the VoWiFi service.

This makes no sense and also renders this feature completely useless for all those Vodacom corporate and private subscribers who travel internationally. What is the point of having this service BUT not being able to use it when roaming is enabled. Certainly I understand I could disable roaming and then use it if and when I find a wifi hotspot BUT what about when I am out of reach of a wifi service.

For example, Imagine the security implications travelling in Africa. Do you wish me to be without communication between Murtala Muhammed Airport in Lagos and my hotel on Victoria Island – a 2 hour trip? Wifi is never easily available when travelling in cars and taxis internationally.

This VoWiFi service is supposed to be supplementary to roaming i.e. roam when no wifi and then switch to VoWiFi when in range of a suitable wifi network.

Vodacom is scamming their customers and misrepresenting this service. I quote from their website where the launch is announced:

"This also means that roaming customers can now make use of Wi-Fi to make standard calls when overseas and pay their existing local call rates or use already available free minutes as long as they are connected to a working Wi-Fi network with open access to the Internet". When I challenged this quote they stated "roaming" means those travelers travelling overseas and NOT "Roaming" as in having roaming enabled.

The only reason Vodacom would do this is because they don’t wish to lose their legacy roaming revenue from their travelling customers.

Vodacom VoWiFi is a waste of time and there is no point what I assume would be many Vodacom business / corporate customers who travel internationally

I am really disappointed……
Occasional Advisor

It's only logical that VoWifi won't work when roaming because you aren't "directly" connected to your service provider - you are in fact connected to a proxy network which reroutes you're calls back to your service provider.  Volte and Vowifi services are proprietary features and will only work on your home network (if available).

Community Manager

Hi 00km00s

Thanks for your post however please note that VoLTE and VoWiFi will work on roaming. You benefit by getting your local call rate on VoWiFi when roaming. 

iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.2
Community Manager

Hi Mccallum

Please note that the issue you are talking about is a temporary one that is being fixed on the system. It's not that you can't have roaming and VoLTE/VoWiFi at the same time, it's a system issue that is preventing the activation. There is however a workaround until the fix is implemented.

Please send me a direct message with your contact details and the cell number in question and I will get the service provisioned for you. Smiley Happy

Thanks

VodacomKyle

iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.2
Occasional Advisor

As per Vodacom Technical, Vodacom SP doesn't yet support wificalling. So how can one go roaming with this service?

Community Manager

We are in the process of training our staff so they will give out the information they currently have.

I have had confirmation that you can use Wi-Fi calling abroad and it should work fine. There are a few tests that are still being concluded but it will be a 2-3 week period before staff are trained and all tests are concluded on the network.

iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.2
Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

VodacomKyle wrote:

Hi Mccallum

Please note that the issue you are talking about is a temporary one that is being fixed on the system. It's not that you can't have roaming and VoLTE/VoWiFi at the same time, it's a system issue that is preventing the activation. There is however a workaround until the fix is implemented.

Please send me a direct message with your contact details and the cell number in question and I will get the service provisioned for you. Smiley Happy

Thanks

VodacomKyle

Hi,

I have a similar issue. Done all the settings, but the VoWifi indicator not coming up. will DM.