Other Devices

Support:
KMM
New Contributor

WiFi Calling and VoLTE

Most of the new devicess supports WiFi Calling and VoLTE, this will be really useful when travelling or in bad 3G & 2G areas. 

In my case as an iOS user; WiFi calling will allow me to use any of my Apple devices (provided they are connected to my iCloud account) to make calls even if i don't have my phone with me.

So when is Vodacom going to Make these services available to the consumers?

Occasional Visitor

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE

i'd also be very interested when they will make WIFI calling available

Occasional Visitor

I have a Lenovo Z2 that supports Volte.  I have enabled it in the settings, and Vodacom has provisioned volte on my sim, but it is still not working Smiley Sad

KMM
New Contributor

Honestly I think Vodacom Implementation of VoLTE is a hit and miss. VoLTE was enabled when I was using Galaxy S7 and It worked perfectly. But It stopped working after my upgrade to Galaxy S8. But when i use the same number on my LG G6 VoLTE works again.

I'm still doing some research but it seems like it has to do with the VoLTE codec enabled on the network and on the end users devices.

Certain LTE modems (Radios) supports narrowband Adaptive Multi-Rate (NB-AMR) and others supports wideband AMR (WB-AMR), if Vodacom codec matches the codec enabled on your device VoLTE works and if it doesn't match you will only get LTE data access.

Highlighted
KMM
New Contributor

The other possible explanation is it looks like all of the devices using last year's LTE Modems (radios) works with VoLTE just fine and all the devices with late 2016 / early 2017 LTE Modems (Radios) seems not to work.

It either Vodacom has not enabled support for these modems or they are still testing.