Other Devices

Support:
Highlighted
KMM
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

WiFi Calling and VoLTE

Most of the new devicess supports WiFi Calling and VoLTE, this will be really useful when travelling or in bad 3G & 2G areas. 

In my case as an iOS user; WiFi calling will allow me to use any of my Apple devices (provided they are connected to my iCloud account) to make calls even if i don't have my phone with me.

So when is Vodacom going to Make these services available to the consumers?

Occasional Visitor

Re: WiFi Calling and VoLTE

i'd also be very interested when they will make WIFI calling available

Occasional Visitor

I have a Lenovo Z2 that supports Volte.  I have enabled it in the settings, and Vodacom has provisioned volte on my sim, but it is still not working Smiley Sad

KMM
New Contributor

Honestly I think Vodacom Implementation of VoLTE is a hit and miss. VoLTE was enabled when I was using Galaxy S7 and It worked perfectly. But It stopped working after my upgrade to Galaxy S8. But when i use the same number on my LG G6 VoLTE works again.

I'm still doing some research but it seems like it has to do with the VoLTE codec enabled on the network and on the end users devices.

Certain LTE modems (Radios) supports narrowband Adaptive Multi-Rate (NB-AMR) and others supports wideband AMR (WB-AMR), if Vodacom codec matches the codec enabled on your device VoLTE works and if it doesn't match you will only get LTE data access.

KMM
New Contributor

The other possible explanation is it looks like all of the devices using last year's LTE Modems (radios) works with VoLTE just fine and all the devices with late 2016 / early 2017 LTE Modems (Radios) seems not to work.

It either Vodacom has not enabled support for these modems or they are still testing.

New Contributor

Hi All. Not an expert by any means but I had a huge problem getting my VoLTE service to work.

I had ported 3 lines from MTN to Vodacom - my LTE worked but my VoLTE service did not. Spoke to Ockie and probably didn't explain myself correctly as to what was and what wasn't working. Nevertheless, Ockie checked my profile and all was provisioned on Vodacoms side.

The solution to this in my case was the phone's firmware.

All my phones ported from MTN had MTN's firmware (XFA) installed on them. They were all MTN contract phones.

I was getting no indication on my phone (S6) of any Volte service.

An identical S6 but with Vodacom's firmware (XFV) on it worked perfectly with VoLTE calling.

On swapping my sim card into the Vodacom firmware phone, it worked on VoLTE perfectly.

I flashed my phone with Vodacom's XFV firmware - all sorted and all working.

A quick check on your phone to tell if it is working is to install as signal strength app which will indicate exactly which network you are currently on. (3G or LTE).

Check on the app if you are currently getting an LTE signal - make a call and the go back to the signal app while still on the call.

If your signal app shows 3G you are defaulting back to 3G from LTE anf Volte is not working.

If however your app indicates LTE on both network and calling, then you are currently using VoLTE.

On the S6 that I am using, a VoLTE indicator comes up on the main home screen and stays there whether you are making a call or not. I tried to insert an image of this here but could only see how to insert an image from a URL?

If any body needs assistance with this firmware I will do my best to help.

Steve.

KMM
New Contributor

Hi,

All of my devices are on Vodacom Firmware.

Vodacom recently pushed carrier settings update for iOS which enables VoLTE and Visual Voice Mail on iOS devices. if you are an iphone user, you can run the latest update, then go to settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable 4G > then select "Voice & Data"

Now they should enable WiFi Calling for iOS and Android and VoLTE for S8 and S8+, They will have a very happy customer on their hands 

Occasional Advisor

Please provide link for the firmware you used, and how you flashed it please. 

Occasional Advisor

Howzit buds!  I'm using Samsung Galaxy S7 G930 with XFA firmware and origanal CSC.  I won this handset through a competition.  The firmware is multi-CSC but doesn't have Vodacom's XFV as a compatible CSC, only local XFE with a host of Asian and Europian regions.  My question to anyone in the know is:

"What will happen if I flash Vodacom's Nougat firmware from Sammobile?"  Currently they have XFV (Vodacom) and XFE (?).

I know the phone will factory reset.  But what I don't know is if this might possibly soft-brick the device due to unsupported CSC?  I had the S6 G920F with XFA CSC once and tried the same with a subsequent soft-brick as a result.  I don't want this to happen again.  Also, I don't want to trip the KNOX counter.

Someone with experience please share your experience.

Community Manager

Good day KMM

Please note that both VoLTE and Wi-Fi Calling (VoWiFi) is available on Vodacom for iPhone and some Samsung devices.

Please go here for more information: https://myvodacom.secure.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/services/internet/lte?cid=ntrn_0_dsgn_6848 

You need to do a carrier update and then enable the two services in your settings, you can follow the FAQs at the bottom of the page for more information.

iPhone 6s iOS 10.3.2
Mac Book Pro 15" Retina macOS Sierra 10.12.5