Huawei

Support:
Highlighted
VIP
Accepted Solution

Huawei Ascend G7 – So long, and thanks for all the fish…

It is with a heavy heart that I write this, my last review post for this excellent device.  It’s been an incredible two months – it has opened my eyes (and I hope some of yours too) to a phone that wasn’t historically part of the Android armoire.  I wasn’t a believer – there wasn’t anything wrong, per se, but it wasn’t the Sony, LG and Samsung that was shoved down our throats.  It was a new kid on the block and still needed to prove itself.

Well ladies and gentlegeeks, that ends here and now!  Huawei has brought us fresh new phones to kick up the Android stable a notch.  The Huawei Mate 7 and Ascend G7 phones need stand in the shadows no longer.  Gone are the days of cheap feeling, plasticky phones – something that has taken Samsung quite a long time to realize with the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge.  Huawei raised the bar for midlevel devices.  These phones are flagships in their own right and won’t cost you an arm and a leg to acquire.

I have waxed lyrical about the 64bit chipset and the broadband capability of my G7.  I cannot downplay these incredible features in a midlevel phone.  You will be hard pressed to find a phone with these figures (at least in South Africa).  Across the pond they have phones like the Motorola Moto G and the OnePlus One that rival the price range and capabilities (to some and lesser extents…) but you simply can’t get a better or bigger bang for your buck than the Huawei stable of devices, whether the P8, G7 or Mate 7.  These phones take no prisoners and have some of the best build quality I have seen in ANY device.

Everything just feels at place with the G7.  Some of my fellow reviewers have experienced some issues but as a layman (and sufferer of OCD) I can say that if I didn’t pick it up during my reviews and/or it didn’t bother me too much, it really is nothing to fault Huawei on.  

So get one – heck, at this price you can afford the G7 to be your back-up phone.  And at the end of two months using it daily, you’ll want to use it as your phone of choice and maybe put your current device in the back-up bin…  That is where I am at the moment.  I will miss my Huawei and I hate that an inanimate piece of technology has elicited this type of feeling from me.  It’s just that good!  It really is.  It has a way of constantly surprising you with little things that Huawei has thought about giving you without you even knowing that you needed it or wanted it or would like to just play with it.

This truly is a remarkable device and is most definitely on the shortlist for my upgrade device.  I was sold on the connectivity alone but it kept on giving me more.  If it is time for your upgrade, go check out this and other devices at the Online Shop!  You save a lot of time and, most importantly, money when you upgrade online!

And gimme some Kudos (it’s the star thingy on the left…) if you liked my posts and would like to see more in the future!

Until next time, Huatch this space, so long and thanks for joining me on this amazing journey.  And don’t be shy if you think you have what it takes to be a reviewer.  Together we can grow this Community to be the force for good it is meant to be!

Re: Huawei Ascend G7 – So long, and thanks for all the fish…

That. was. sheer. inspiration!

Bravo!

VIP

Thanks @mobidick

Means a lot coming from you. Let's keep this thing going! 

Catch you on the flipside! 

Totally! It's been super fun doing these reviews alongside great guys like you @CyberPsycho13 and @FG !!

Occasional Advisor

Ok, so I have to ask, since I, too, have a mild case of OCD, and I have noticed that the fonts on the G7 tend to be blurry, and I just can't seem to find anyone who actually noticed this. I can't be the only one who has an issue with this, unless it's only my device. I really love this device, except for this one really, REALLY annoying issue! 😞

Hi @mizrulez I also see it when looking closely at the screen, you can try to change the font size under display> font size and see if that makes any difference.

VIP

Hey! I must admit, I haven't seen this issue on my device. I think @Frans737 might be onto something in his reply. I like the crispness of my G7 and maybe my eyes are more screwed than I thought... Hope your device isn't busted. @mobidk also had some issues with his device. Maybe it's different from device to device... I hope not!
Occasional Advisor

@Frans737, I've tried changing the font size, even tried changing my firmware, and it's made no difference, and that is with me holding the phone at a distance. It's weird though, because it's not all the fonts that appear blurry, it's usually when the fonts are bold, but I honestly believe that it's the way the fonts are rendered.

@CyberPsycho13, I've checked the demo model in a Vodacom store, and that one had blurry fonts as well, it just wasn't as blurry as mine is, and my sight isn't very good either.