HTC devices

Highlighted
New Contributor

Review: HTC One M8

[ Edited ]

htc-one-m8-2.jpg(Photo credit: gsmarena.com)

Although launched in March 2014, the HTC One M8 can still compete with the latest smartphones on the market. With it's brushed aluminium unibody, dual front-facing BoomSound speakers and blazing fast Snapdragon processor, you can see for yourself why it's still one of the best!

DESIGN:

The HTC One M8 has a beautiful brushed aluminium unibody that wraps around the sides. In the hand it feels like how a premium smartphone should feel, which other smartphone manufacturers have failed to achieve. The M8 is ergonomical, but also sturdy which is important because as well as being beautifully designed it doesn't feel fragile. It's available in three stunning colours - Artic Silver, Metal Gray and Amber Gold and weights 160g but doesn't feel overly heavy. Although it has a unibody it is not dust and waterproof.

DISPLAY:

The M8 has a gorgeous Full HD (1920x1080) 5" multitouch display that is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3. The display has a pixel density of 441ppi, it delivers crystal clear images. It has wide viewing angles and excellent contrast so you can enjoy watching movies and playing games.

HARDWARE:

HTC has equipt the M8 with a blazing fast Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor that has a clock speed of 2.3 GHz. It can handle just about any app that's currently on the market. It comes with 2GB RAM that's more than enough. The M8 comes in 16GB and 32GB options. The big pro is that it has a microSD card slot that supports cards up to 128GB!

SOFTWARE:

The M8 comes with Android OS, v4.4.2 (KitKat) and is upgradable to the latest v5.0 (Lollipop) OS. The user interface is Sense 6.0 which is fast, easy to use and lag free.

CAMERA:

At the back of the M8 there is two cameras. Yes, two! It is called a Duo Camera. The bigger camera is a 4MP Ultrapixel camera that shoots fast and captures stunning images. The second camera at the back is there to capture depth information that allows you to refocus a photo after you have taken it. It allows you to refocus anywhere on the photo. The camera can also record Full HD video but it doesn't have stabilisation and video quality is not that impressive. For low light conditions there is a dual led flash that does a good job. All in all it's a pretty good camera. At the front there is a nice 5MP camera for selfies and video calling.

SOUND:

This is my favourite feature. It has dual front-facing HTC BoomSound speakers with built-in amps that delivers an audio masterclass that you have to hear to believe!

WIRELESS:

The M8 has all the latest wireless tech to meet your needs - 4G LTE network, Dual-band WIFI, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0 but lacks wireless charging.

BATTERY:

The HTC One M8 comes with a 2600mAh battery. The downside is that it's non-removable. The battery last quiet well considering the powerful hardware the phone has. You will need to charge it at least once per day under normal usage. The M8 has fast battery charging which charges 60% in 30 minutes (Quick Charge 2.0) so charging is quick and easy. It also has an Extreme Power Saving mode that will make the battery last for around 30 hours from only 10% charge which is a good feature to have in an emergency.

Well that's my review of the HTC One M8! I personally think it's one of the most beautiful smartphones on the market combined with powerful features. With the recent launch of the HTC One M9, the price of the M8 will go down and you can get a good deal on it!

Shop online with Vodacom and receive FREE delivery to your door. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Review: HTC One M8

Good post. Totally agree. My HTC M8 is about a year old and I must say it has probably one of the best phones I have used for a while. A lot of devices in the market are really nice and then there is that 1 exception to being the complete package. I cannot complain about this device whatsoever.

Keep up the reviews. Maybe share your post on social media. If you do share it on Twitter then please use the hashtag #VodacomCommunity.

H

Occasional Visitor

Re: Review: HTC One M8

nice review my friend!