Contract Services

Support:
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Suspected fraud by upgrade department.

Vodacom’s customer service is pathetic and refuses to investigate possible fraudulent activities

I have been a loyal Vodacom customer for a number years. I started out with a single cellphone contract that has grown the 9 lines that I am paying for every month. I believe that I always had good dealings with Vodacom and since my debit orders are always honored, I assume I am also considered a good customer.

Over the years I had some run-ins with the customer care department but after some persistence we always seem to work it out except for the time in 2014. I wanted to add another line (contract) to my account for a MyMeg500 tablet for my wife. For some reason my application was declined which was strange because just a few day before that I was able to renew 2 other contracts and take out an extra contract without any problems. I tried online and going to the local Vodacom shop, but no success. I really tried my best to find out why I was suddenly treated like a criminal and to this day I have not been able to get a sensible answer from Vodacom. Out of desperation, my wife tried to take out the tablet contract on her own name. She did it online and the whole process took less than 10 minutes without any problems. Impressive, but it also confusing. Why could I as a loyal, long standing customer not get the same result? I was able to add another contract to my account since then without problems. But this is not why I am compiling this document.

Recently I upgraded my tablet contract online to a 10” tablet. Quick, easy and without problems.

When my wife’s contract (that she took out on her name) came up for renewal on 26 March 2016 we tried to upgrade online also. She however did not have the same upgrade deals available as I did when I upgraded a few days before. We tried the upgrade line (08217844) and was informed that my wife’s number was migrated to a “new system” to which they did not have access to. This was also the reason give why she did not have the same deals available. We were eventually put though to another upgrade center and was able to complete the upgrade… or so we thought.

• We did not receive any confirmation of the upgrade via SMS or e-mail
  • The tablet was not delivered as promised
  • On 30 March the old tablet went offline and we are unable to make an internet connection since then. I initially thought that the data bundle might have run out but 1GB should have been loaded on 1 April it that was the case.

On 2 April 2016 we tried to call the upgrade center to follow up but found it impossible to get any feedback at all. We were given the run-around for more than 3 hours. The customer care line 082111 could not access her details because she was on the mysterious “new system”, we were refers to call 0821959. In a futile attempt to call this number we experienced the following:

• Waiting 20 minutes and then hear 2 other people talk that cannot hear me
  • Requested callback by pressing “#” while waiting, we were called back by someone that said she works with retailers only and she cannot help us.
  • Called again, waiting 27 minutes before the line went dead
  • Tried the call back again by using the “#” option. The person that called us back this time told us to call 0821959 again. We asked to be put through to a manager and was put through to a number that was never answered.
  • Called 082111 several times trying to lodge a complaint but was told that they could not log a complaint for us.
  • When we asked to speak to a manager/supervisor we were either told that they do not work on Saturdays or put though to and unanswered line or simply cut off.

I logged a complaint on Hellopeter.com and CC’ed customer care.

After many more attempts to 082111, I was informed at a service request (PC-04V6-21BRJC) was logged and I finally was able to speak to a supervisor. He said that he will go to the upgrade department a give feedback. He called back once for more info and promised to keep me up to date but I have heard nothing since.

On 4 April 2016, we checked the account on MyVodacom and found that the data bundle of the account was 0. The amount due also differs from the amount that was discussed when we did the upgrade.

The data could not have been used up because we were not able to uses the table to access the internet since 30 March 2016. Alarmed that this indicate possible fraudulent activities, we decided to contact the Vodacom head office. I was unable to speak to anyone that were prepared to listen, verify or give me any feedback/explanation on the possible fraud being committed by Vodacom. Some of the switchboard operateres simply refused to put me through to anyone. When I did get through to someone I was told that either their system was offline, they could not access my wife’s contract or I was put on hold. The total lack of commitment by Vodacom staff is EPIC. I tried following up on the service request logged with 082111 and was informed that no-one has been assigned to the case and is still pending. Clearly a sign that our concerns about fraud being committed are not being taken seriously.

Out of desperation we visited the local Vodashop and according to the contract has been cancelled because the status shows ”Deleted”.

On 5 April 2016 (today), I tried again to get details of the upgrade on the upgrade line 0821959. I asked for a copy of the recording of the call made on 26 March 2016 to upgrade but was refused. All I could get was a “quotation”. When I asked for confirmation that it will be send I was put on hold for 45 minutes. I called 0821959 again hold again for longer than 35 minutes.

Occasional Visitor

Re: Suspected fraud by upgrade department.

I have also had shocking service from Vodacom customer service..I upgraded to the Smart G3 and the 10 inch tablet on offer..I can't load airtime on the small tablet and I'm waiting for the big ones sim card to be activated...All I want is to connect the two devices and be able to phone...Is that asking to much!!
New Contributor

i have also been a victim of this,it has been 2 months now,im being charged a new tariff and according to a vodacom employee my device is showing on but i have not received it.

ive emailed custermer care numerous times and no one cares actually.

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

I travel abroad a great deal and was in South Africa in December 2016 when I received a call from Vodacom asking if I wanted an upgrade.  I accepted and was promised the upgrade phone and ipad within the week.  I waited 2 weeks and nothing arrived.  I had to leave South Africa and had my family phone Vodacom to tell them I was leaving and did not want the upgrade. I returned in January 2017 to find that Vodacom are debiting me for the upgrade !!  I have not received any phone or ipad.  I contacted Vodacom at Hemmingway's Mall East London and was told they couldn't help me.  I called Vodacom and spoke to several people who said they would sort it out and reverse the upgrade.  Well it is still not sorted. I have emailed customer care and placed complaints on you FB page and still have had no one come back to me.  I have now arrange with my bank to reverse all Vodacom debits, my account is now in arrears and will stay that way until this is sorted.  I have no problem paying but I want the account sorted and the excess debit reversed.  I will  not allow any further debits to my bank account.  As I am abroad most the year I really don't need Vodacom and the hassle I am having.  Please please have your accounnts people look into this and reverse the upgrade charges I have been charged..  To be honest I would like to end my dealings with Vodacom and will find another service provider.

Regards

Veronica

Occasional Visitor

According to me this is not suspected it is a given.

I am still waiting for a come back or any form of action on the 3rd fraud case on the same number. I think pathetic is a compliment.

About two and a half years ago I got a sms my upgrade was successful on my contract with a listing of the upgrade. I phone the centre and said I never requested the upgrade. I was informed that I was just at the shop and completed it. Long story short after numerous trips to the SAPS and Vodacom, I had all the details including a copy of the ID used which you could clearly see was false, I had the upgrade reversed. I then saw that an amount of around R13000 was deducted from my bank. Once again back to Vodacom where I was informed it was because I now cancelled a contract. Long fights later I had this returned and had a block put on the contract while they further investigate.

About two months later I saw activity on the account and the whole process started again. This time I was simply told that they don’t see any form of block on the line but they will convert it to a prepaid to stop this from happening again.

In July 2016 I receive a statement to the amount of R3000, by the time I looked at the statement online it rose by R500. I contacted them once again and the whole explanation started again. I was informed that they don’t understand it as there a total block on the line for any form of upgrade or service activation. I had to collect all the paper work and forward it to them, if I don’t get a call I must follow up with their fraud section and they gave me the number.

3 Weeks later no comeback I decided to follow up. At fraud I spoke to David. He informed me they have all my documents and that there was a sim swop done 5 months prior and all the calls are international as well as there was airtime transfers and content services charged to this as well. After long discussion he was going to try and reverse the sim swop and lock it again while they investigate. I tried that number twice after that and just got a voice mail with a diff name. Now the number just doesn’t exist. Phone accounts and they simply put you on hold and eventually cut you off.

Weird observation…..every upgrade and sim swop happened within 3 days after I got a call from the call centre offering me exactly the service that all of a sudden happens after I said I’m not interested. Does this not point to internal fraud?

I am still holding on for someone to come back to me. I have already got a new line on a new service provider and need my Vodacom cancelled. A request has also gone thru to our HR to actually take our whole corporate work force away from Vodacom as there clearly are no service or customer care.

Occasional Visitor

Vodacom is really the worst service provider! after years of being a loyal client I am switching to another provider because of the appalling way I've been treated. I haven't received a statement since April 2016 and my amount I'm being charged trippled overnight.  When I enquired I found that someone had fraudulently done an upgrade on my account. I called customer service and was advised to send an affidavit to an email address - documents@vodacom.co.za which I did immediately. Three months later my account is still being debited! I have cancelled the debit order on my account and pay only what I believe I am due to pay unti Vodacom does something about this BUT instead of resolving the issue they suspend my account! I have called customer service, the collections department about 9 times and sent several emails! Still nothing. What I am told every time is that my documents which i have sent three times have not been received! I'm at my wits end! 

New Contributor

the same thing happened to me recently - here is my story http://community.vodacom.co.za/t5/Contract-Services/Fraudulent-upgrade-on-my-account-I0488739-case-n...

my case number is 1-24180396343923
Community Manager

Vodacom has now established the fraud swat team to assist with these issues. This team is dedicated to managing different forms of fraud disputes and will manage them end-to-end. They will be able to assist with suspected upgrade fraud on your account. You will need to send your dispute to FraudDisputes@vodacom.co.za with the following documents:

• A copy of your ID
  • An affidavit , with three identical signatures (three specimen signatures)
  • You correct contact details, so that the SWAT team will be able to contact them.

The dispute will be allocated to a Fraud SWAT team member, who will then contact you.