Vodacom Community

Vodacom Community

main_icn_24_7_support 360-view 4g main_icn_Accessories main_icn_Add_or_Plus main_icn_Apps apps-hi apps-mid arrow-left arrow-right market_icn_Battery bill-or-report-mid block blog-hi-dark broadband-device-hi-dark broadband-mid broadband-device bundles-hi-dark business calendar market_icn_Minutes calls-contacts-mid main_icn_Camera main_icn_Chat cherries-points main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Chevron_left main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_up clock-hi-dark main_icn_Clock_or_Timed main_icn_Close community-or-foundation-mid main_icn_Community_or_Foundation connectivity converged-proposition customer-care dashboard-hi-dark dashboard-hi dashboard-mid main_icn_Dashboard data-mid market_icn_Data_Sharing market_icn_Deals main_icn_Delete delivery main_icn_Dislike document-mid main_icn_Download main_icn_Edit entertainment-hi-dark error-circle error-simple main_icn_Social_Facebook main_icn_Filter main_icn_Filter social-google-plus help-hi_1 help home-02-hi info-circle infographic-hi-dark insurance-hi country-or-international-hi-dark landline-or-call-mid main_icn_Landline_or_Call main_icn_Like market_icn_LinkedIn location-hi main_icn_Location mail-new-hi-dark mail-read-hi-dark mail-new market_icn_Screen_size members main_icn_Menu market_icn_SMS mobile-broadband mobile-hi-dark mobile-mid main_icn_Mobile multiscreen-hi touchscreen-hi my-vodafone-mid main_icn_My_Vodafone network-hi-dark network-signal-hi network-signal-mid main_icn_Network_signal offer-badge-percent market_icn_Offer_badge main_icn_Pause payg-hi-dark payg-hi payg-mid main_icn_PAYG social-paypal main_icn_Photos pie-chart play-hi-dark main_icn_Play_circle main_icn_Play_arrow main_icn_Add_or_Plus print main_icn_Privacy rank-virtuoso 0_rating 5_rating main_icn_Ratings recommendation record-hi-dark refresh main_icn_Bill_or_Report main_icn_Reports return-product roaming-hi-dark roaming-mid main_icn_Roaming search-hi-dark main_icn_Search security-hi-dark security-hi security-mid main_icn_Security settings-hi-dark settings-hi share shopping-trolley shopping sim-mid main_icn_SIM market_icn_SIM_Swap main_icn_Chat social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Student tail [Converted] text-mid main_icn_Text thumbs-hi-dark tick main_icn_Tick_simple top-up-hi-dark top-up-hi top-up-mid main_icn_Top_up tv-hi-dark main_icn_TV main_icn_Social_Twitter upgrade-mid users video main_icn_Viewed VF_Logo market_icn_Vodafone_store voice-of-vodafone-alerts-mid voice-of-vodafone-alerts warning-hi-dark warning-hi-dark warning weight white-paper-mid country-or-international-mid market_icn_Multinational social-youtube
Menu Toggle
Announcements

Welcome to the Community!

We can't wait for you to get involved! If you're a Vodacom subscriber all you have to do is sign up and log on. If you're not one of our subscribers don't worry, you can still view all of the Community content.

Signing up on the forum is easy. Scroll over “Sign in to my account” at the top right of your screen and log in if you are an existing user or click register and follow the steps.

Click here for further details.

Close announcement

BlackBerry

BlackBerry 7.1 Now Available on the Vodacom Network

SOLVED
Go to solution
Advisor

BlackBerry 7.1 Now Available on the Vodacom Network

BlackBerry® 7.1, the latest version of the BlackBerry® smartphone OS, is now available on the Vodacom Network. The update is available for the BlackBerry® Torch™ 9810, BlackBerry® Curve™ 9360 and 9380 smartphones, and the Porsche Design P’9981 smartphone from BlackBerry.[1] Customers can upgrade their smartphones to BlackBerry 7.1 for free over the air[2], by browsing to http://za.blackberry.com/services/blackberry7/, or using BlackBerry® Desktop Software.

BlackBerry 7.1 incorporates BlackBerry® Tag, a new way to share content with other BlackBerry customers using near field communications (NFC) technology. By tapping two NFC-enabled BlackBerry smartphones together, customers can share contact information, pictures, a URL from the browser or documents. BlackBerryTag can also be used to invite a friend to BBM™ or to pair their BlackBerry smartphone with an NFC enabled Bluetooth® device.

With BlackBerry 7.1, customers can be productive from virtually anywhere. Now they can turn their BlackBerrysmartphone into a mobile hotspot that can be shared by up to 5 Wi-Fi®-enabled devices, including laptops and tablets[3].

A new Battery Saving Mode feature has been added which allows customers to extend the battery life of theirBlackBerry smartphone when it is most needed. The new feature provides customers the option to have their smartphone settings automatically adjusted when the battery power reaches a level pre-defined by the customer. Some of the settings the Battery Saving Mode will automatically adjust include the brightness level, backlight timeout, and the mobile hotspot auto shutdown timer.

Customers with a BlackBerry Curve 9360 or BlackBerry Curve 9380 smartphone will find a nice surprise with theBlackBerry 7.1 OS update in the form of an FM radio. The FM radio is already built in to the BlackBerry Curve 9360 and 9380 models and BlackBerry 7.1 enables this feature that allows them to tune in and enjoy FM radio stations4.

For more information about the BlackBerry 7.1 OS update, visit  http://za.blackberry.com/services/blackberry7/<%20http:/za.blackberry.com/services/blackberry7/>.

Please visit http://za.blackberry.com/update/ to find out more on how to update your BlackBerry smartphone software

Mobile hotspot feature requires BlackBerry 7.1 and may require an additional data plan. Please check with your service provider.

Show more
17 REPLIES
New Contributor

Hi NickyP,

Is there any reason why vodacom has not released the os7.1 for the blackberry Bold 9900 yet? 

waiting for it to come out but i see there is nothing

Schola

Show more
Advisor

Hi Schola

Unfortunately, the 9900 is not supported on the Vodacom network and we are working with RIM on the next release. The launch date will made available in due course.

We'll keep you updated

NP

Show more
New Contributor

Cool, thanks alot for letting me know

one more question, do you have a release date maybe for the next release? just a round about date?

Show more
Occasional Visitor

Remind me again why I took out a contract with the top package and top Blackberry with you again? Been waiting for this update for months since it got released overseas, just to find out, sorry, the top blackberry can't get this update on the Vodacom network. No wonder the Vodacom share price has been on a steep decline over the last couple of months. You are the ONLY network in SA that managed to stuff up this update.

Show more
Occasional Visitor

you can load 7.1 on a vodacom blackberry 9900, but there is n trick to do it. i have done it with my 9900

Show more
New Contributor
Show more
Occasional Visitor

I would appreciate if you could send me the way to upload 7.1

Show more
Occasional Visitor

Hi

i just called one of the vodacom repair centre's and they advised that they are waiting for the new 7.1 update from vodacom hq. can you plse tell me/us when this update will be available for the BB9900 as vodacom sells these phones but dont have the update for them alone while the rest of the world has, how is this possible? plse advise!!!!!!!!! and plse dont give me the story that its not supported on the vodacom network, if the OS was not supported on the network how come the other BB's can get the update?????!!!!!!!!!

Show more
Visitor

Hi Nicky P

Just under 4 months ago you posted the following:

NickyP wrote:

Hi Schola

Unfortunately, the 9900 is not supported on the Vodacom network and we are working with RIM on the next release. The launch date will made available in due course.

We'll keep you updated

NP

Have there been any updates on this situation?  Is this software any closer to being released?

Thanks

Mike

Show more